It’s hard to believe that three weeks have already flown by and it is time for another SAL update! What happened to January?!!

The last time I updated you with the sheep blanket, this is where I was at with it:

Working a sheep for a baby blanket with lots of French knots!

I was having a couple of problems.

Firstly – thread! I had run out of the thread I was using, and it is now very difficult to order that particular thread. One shop I approached has actually said that despite it being a beautiful thread, they have made the decision to stop stocking it due to the problems they have supplying it. So I suspect it might be another thread that will eventually be no more.

The second problem is that rather marked difference in my stitching before and after I started at the RSN! My French Knots are now so much neater and consistent! A number of you were very helpful with your suggestions, and I have attempted to work my ‘new’ French knots into the ‘old’ French knots to blend it all a little better. I’m not sure it has made any difference, but I am trying to do something so the poor sheep isn’t marked in such a way! My darling husband thinks I’m being over critical and doesn’t understand what I’m talking about, so maybe it’s something only fellow ‘stitchers’ will see.

With the thread problem, I have found in my ‘stash’ a thread by Gumnut Yarns which I am using as a substitute. It is a little thicker than a single strand of the Gloriana thread I initially had, and it is slightly ‘fluffier’ as well, but it is the best I had on hand. It is still a beautiful thread to touch and use, so I am making do with it! And I’m telling myself that it is a sheep – and sheep’s wool isn’t ‘even’ all over! Maybe she just sits on that side more regularly.

And after three weeks ‘progress’ (used very lightly here, as I’m not sure much progress has been made at all), this is now what the mummy sheep looks like.

Using French Knots to achieve a sheep's wool effect on a baby blanket. Stitched by Catherine of Hillview Embroidery

I’m finding that I am very easily ‘distracted’ when all I am doing is French knot, after French knot, after French knot. I seem to stitch a couple of thread lengths, then see what’s happening on the news or Facebook or something. I even managed to cut one of the dog’s toenails yesterday during my procrastination stage! This may seem insignificant, but trust me, the little terror is really bad at being able to squirm away when those clippers come out!

I’m thinking that I’m now almost close enough to the finish of this sheep’s French knots that I will be able to spice things up with a face and legs and the horns (so it wouldn’t really be a mummy sheep then would it!). I might wait till the end before I put the horns in, just in case I decide not to put them in.

The other thing I have noticed is again thread related. Despite using the same thread colour as the main thread, there must either be some dye-lot changes ever so slightly, or perhaps it is again my stitching of French Knots that has done it, but there is a greenish tinge to these new French knots. The thread ‘looks’ the same colour – but something is definitely different! Again, there is not much I can do about it, and I’m just going to have to go with it. But I think it is always going to bother me slightly….

Do make sure you check out what everyone else has been working on! There are some beautiful pieces being created here! If  you are interested in knowing more about this SAL, do make sure you head over to Avis’ blog, and get in touch with her.

AvisClaireGunCaroleLucyAnnKateJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristinaSusan, Kathy MargaretCindyHelenStephLinda

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
%d bloggers like this: