Looking back to where we last were!
I was also contemplating how to finish it off – a garden, a border? Thank you for all your suggestions, they were greatly appreciated! And so many wonderful ideas – it just goes to show how versatile hand embroidery can be.
After three weeks of stitching
It is finished! I have to say, there was a certain degree of relief knowing the mountain of French knots had finally come to an end! And when I say ‘finished’, that isn’t entirely correct, as it still needs to be backed. But the embroidery is done. I’m not overly confident at the sewing machine, and since I have another baby blanket to make up (one which will be much quicker), I’ve decided to do them both at the same time.
After putting in the last few French knots and one more happy face, a decision needed to be made on the ‘garden’ or ‘field’ these little guys are sitting in. After looking at them all completed, I decided on a whimsical, very simple approach – nothing fancy. A few lazy daisies in some different colours, and some very simple ‘tuffs’ of grass.
And the final touches were a few little bees buzzing overhead. I finished these off with a bullion knot for their body, with a couple of straight stitches for the stripes, long armed French knots for the antennas, and a couple of chain stitches for their wings. I was going to get all complicated and change the colour of the wings, but I decided the one colour for all these parts of the bees would be fine!
To decide if I should or shouldn’t put a stem stitch border around the whole blanket, I got my backing ‘sheep fabric’ out, and laid it all out with a (very) rough overlay of the fabric. And the decision was made that I didn’t need to do a border – it had enough going on.
And there we have it, three cute little sheep in a sweet garden!
So what will be my next ‘SAL’ project?
I am certainly in no shortage of projects that need to be completed! The next project I’ve decided to work on for this SAL is the elephant ‘sampler’ I was stitching as part of the TAST before I got too busy and distracted with other projects to continue along with the weekly stitches. I’m thinking at this stage of looking through the TAST stitches and just choosing them randomly to complete the project. It was getting to a stage where it was getting difficult to fit in all the stitches, so this will still hopefully develop my knowledge of stitches, but also allow for some more ‘normal’ stitches to be used if necessary.
Join the others!
Do make sure you head over and see what everyone else has been up to! There is always so much to see, and is a great and lovely time catching up with everyone.
See you in three weeks for the next SAL update – and an elephant!