Despite not finishing, there was still progress! And the elephant now has a body! And on looking at the remainder of the original lines I drew in, there really isn’t much left to be done.
As I mentioned, I decided to couch around his body, and I’m really happy with this decision. I used a Perle 5 thread, and couched down two strands. And now he really looks like an elephant!
I think a few stem stitch rows, possibly a coral stitch, and probably a padded satin stitch eye are all that are needed. Finding all the uncovered lines is a little difficult, as some of them are almost completely covered by the current stitches. So a few different types of thread will need to be used to balance and finish these last few bits.
My grab and go project
And just a little insight on how I’m fitting the stitching of this project in around the other projects I’ve got on. It has become what I’m calling my ‘grab and go’ project. Now we have sun (and an oversupply of the sun, and a massive undersupply of rain!), we are spending more time outside in the park for a few hours each weekend. It’s a nice stroll down with the dog, and we get to watch the world go by, walk around, drink coffee. All quite civilised really! And instead of bringing a book, I’ve got my ‘bag’ (that I made in my first year of high school!), all ready to just pick up with everything I need to stitch in the park. It’s a really lovely way to get a little something done on the project, and get some fresh air and sun too.
A new community centre, focusing on ‘crafts’ has also just opened up across the road. Once a month they have a ‘Yarn and Stitch’ session for a few hours, so elephant joined me there too! Most of the others were knitters or weavers, so we had a good chat about embroidery and me telling them about a few of the different stitches and threads. Unfortunately they only have the space for six months, but hopefully council agrees to let them stay longer, as it’s a great initiative covering all sorts of crafts for all age groups.