Elephant Stitch Sampler – a Finish Revealed!
Well, this one has been a long time coming! But at last, the stitch sampler I started back in 2016 has been finished!
It really didn’t take long either. A few more chain stitches, some stem stitch and whipped backstitch. Followed by a good look to make sure I had actually covered all the lines! And here you have it! Please excuse the wrinkled nature of it. I haven’t cleaned or blocked it yet. I still need to finish it into the cushion, but that is going to require a trip to buy some suitable fabric.
A Brief History of this Piece
I started this piece back in 2016 as part of the TAST challenge run by Pintangle. At some point in time I stopped keeping up with the weekly challenges. It was probably around the time I started noticing how tricky it was stitch the weekly stitch samples onto a pre-defined design. I also seem to recall the RSN Certificate had something to do with it…
Using nothing but ‘stash’
This whole piece has been stitched up using what I had in my ‘stash’. Which probably says more for my stash than it does anything! But even the actual linen has another design that never went anywhere traced on the other side of it.
A ‘designed’ sampler
Before I started the TAST challenge, I decided I didn’t want to do a ‘typical’ sampler. So I decided to use the brilliant ‘designs’ of an adult colouring book by Millie Marlotta – Animal Kingdoms. Not all the ‘design lines’ were transferred, but enough, at the time I thought, to give me the constraints to stitch the samples.
This worked to a degree. Some of the stitches were easier to work out ‘where’ to put them than others. The other ‘problem’ with this was, that as there was no plan of where this was going to go, I probably ended up transferring some lines I shouldn’t have, and probably left some out that I should have put in.
But, all in all, and after I decided that it just needed to be finished using whatever stitch I wanted, it did actually work quite well!
Looking back, some of the stitches look very ‘heavy’ and ‘chunky’. Mainly the ones stitched in Perle 5 thread! The end result and design of the piece was not at the forefront of my mind. So when Sharon said a particular stitch worked better, or was more interesting in a particular thread, thats what I used!
I’m also not sure why I used that one yellow thread. It does look a little out of place. I must have thought it needed some colour variation at some point!
The Full Story
If you would like to view the step by step progress of this piece, you can find it all here!
Requests for the pattern or a kit
I’ve received a number of requests for the pattern or a kit for this piece. Firstly, I am truly honoured that you like my little elephant so much that you would like to stitch your own! You have no idea how completely unexpected this is, and I truly do value your great support!
But the bad news is, that I am not able to provide this, as the design isn’t one of my own. It came from Millie Marlotta, and I just made it my own. There is also the added problem that I didn’t accurately record the thread colours, as any request like this didn’t cross my mind as ever happening!
So what I’ve decided to do, for those of you who are interested, is to compile a document for you detailing the stitches and threads used throughout. Hopefully, this will give you the inspiration and encouragement to try creating something similar, and also, to make it your own. And if you do, please share it, as I’d love to see your own creations!
You can find this document here via a download. I’ve never actually done this before, so if you try and download it and nothing happens, please let me know so I can have another go at working it out!