So, what’s been going on?
RSN Certificate update
My final module – Goldwork
I somehow, just, managed to get my final piece for the RSN Certificate finished! There were some late nights and sore fingers, but I got there in the end. I wasn’t completely happy with my gold koala for a few reasons. I’m not sure if it was the technique, the other things on my mind, the rush to finish it, or my design. Or perhaps a combination of everything!
I know those of you who haven’t seen the finished koala are eager to see him. So, the first thing that will be caught up on will be the gold koala!
Silk Shading Module – Wild Rose
I know it seems like an absolute eternity ago, but at some point in the past few months I have got my assessment back on the silk shaded rose! I was not particularly happy with my results, or it would seem from comments received, the teaching of, the technique. So we will probably have a somewhat candid discussion on some points on technique and teaching methods!
A Look Back through my experience of the RSN Certificate
Since I’ve now ‘finished’ the RSN Certificate, I thought it would be good to share a bit of a ‘wrap up’ of all the pieces I’ve completed.
We will have a look back at the pieces completed, what I’ve enjoyed and not enjoyed, and I’ll give you more insight into some of my thoughts on the Certificate, the way it is taught etc.
Catch up on Delectable Morsels packs
Since coming back, I’ve now had the time to stitch something other than an RSN piece! It feels like a long time (although I have managed to stitch a couple of little pieces whilst doing the Certificate), that I’ve had the ‘freedom’ to do this.
I was a little short on embroidery supplies when I first arrived due to a somewhat foolish decision on my behalf to have everything except the gold koala packed away on the ship. But when I arrived there was waiting a couple of Delectable Morsels packs from Alison Cole. And so my first couple of pieces were working through those packs and exploring the different materials she provided us with!
I’m still not ‘caught up’ with these packs. After working two, I felt I needed a little break. Whilst I love playing with these ‘new to me’ threads and materials, I do find it a little difficult, and at times restrictive, trying to use them all in the one design. That aside, I do enjoy the challenge, so will probably work another one up soon enough!
Other current pieces
One of the ideas I had as I was drawing to a close on my final RSN piece, was that it would be beneficial to actually ‘redo’ the Certificate. Not in the sense of getting pieces submitted, but more to re-do the techniques, learn and develop more. It’s all well and good to do a technique once, but I believe if I want to reinforce what has been learnt, and extend myself, I need to actively practise the various techniques.
initially, I thought for Jacobean, instead of going through the process of designing and stitching my own piece again, I would stitch up the kits I have of some of Nicola Jarvis’ birds. I’ve now started one of her birds, and whilst stitching these up is still a valuable experience (when is learning from those more experienced not valuable?!), she doesn’t use a great number of stitches within these birds. So, in time, I may well design and stitch another piece that is similar to ‘Fruitful Abundance‘ in that it uses a slightly wider variety of stitches. Though not the twenty odd required in the Certificate – I don’t think I need to use that many different stitches in the one design again!
This one may surprise a few of you, given I wasn’t a huge fan of the technique the first time round! But, I know there is a lot more to this technique than what I executed in my first piece. There is actually so much to this technique I’m not sure you can really ‘fully explore’ it. My big challenge here is going to be choosing a design that will allow me to use these different techniques. I have a few photos which might be ok for this purpose, but I’m keeping my eyes peeled for other images or photo opportunities that might work better for my intended purpose.
Revisiting Silk Shading
I would like to stitch up another flower, including rain drops! Why raindrops after they gave me such grief last time? Because I’m not convinced I was given the best instruction on how to stitch them, and would like to explore another idea I have on how to stitch them. The big key here will also be to stitch it up over a couple of weeks, as I think that is a real factor in the success or failure of this technique.
And lastly, gold work! I am shortly going to be starting stitching on another of Jenny Aiden-Christie’s designs – the Pheasant. Whilst this ticks the box of gold work, I would like to use the same brief again, and stitch another design using the brief.
Hindsight is a brilliant thing, and one of my original designs which I was told would be too much work, I think potentially would have worked better than my gold koala. There would at least have been less plunging, which is perhaps distorting my opinion! My husband also really liked this design idea, so it would be nice to get this worked up as a birthday (or if I miss that, Christmas!) gift.
So, lots more stitching in the works!
And, there’s a few other plans and ideas I’ve got going on in the background which I will share with you when they are more concrete and worked through.
I still have every intention of also completing the RSN Diploma, despite the rather long ‘commute’. That will not be starting this year, so I have a few months to get lots of stitching and refining done before (hopefully) embarking on the Diploma next year.
So stay tuned for lots of stitching!