Silk Shaded Rose – and not much to share!
It’s been a little while since we’ve had a look at the silk shaded rose I’m completing as part of the RSN Certificate. And that’s because I have ‘stalled’ a bit. I’m hoping by sharing this little update I will be spurred on to do some more!
Backward progress on the rose leaves?
With a holiday and then a bit of a break from attending classes, I haven’t been doing a lot of stitching on this piece, like I should have been.
One of the reasons for this is I’ve been feeling a little ‘lost’. I was starting to gain confidence with the stitching last time I showed it to you. However, after my last class (several weeks ago now!), I have really lost that confidence and momentum.
A rose leaf or a camellia leaf?
I had stitched the ‘half leaf’ as I’d been shown, but unfortunately, when I went back to my last class, the tutors felt it looked too much like a camellia leaf, and not enough like a rose leaf. Fair point, and if I were doing a camellia it would have been a good start! This is a point that is probably worth noting just in ‘general RSN terms’ – sometimes your tutors will change their mind! I have no doubt it is something that happens as a piece develops (and I’m sure this happens in their own work as well). But, it’s a little frustrating at times!
Moving forward again
Back to square one so to speak. So what’s the difference between a camellia leaf and a rose leaf? Those little pointy thorns, which I am now surprised at just how many are on an individual leaf!
Creating rose leaf tips
Stitching them has actually been quite an interesting process. When I traced the design I didn’t include the points (another RSN point to note – the tutors will have different opinions on how to do certain things. So one said to do it this way, the other asked why I had done it that way!).
I actually think it has actually worked out for the best. Whilst I have a ‘camellia’ leaf split stitched in, to get the pointy tips, much in the same was as in the Jacobean piece when I was shown, the tips are extended well beyond the split stitch line. The difference is the direction in which all these tips face!
The other interesting point is how the balance of colour is achieved on the tips. When you look closely at the tips of the leaf, you notice that some of them are a little pinky-brown. Some are darker than others. With just one tiny stitch in this colour, that pop of colour is added in to great effect!
Progressing from here
I’ve booked myself in for a class on Friday, despite not having done as much as I probably should have. But I really want to get some comfort that I’m progressing in the right direction this time.
Hopefully, once I’ve got the ‘ok’ on the leaf, I can start a petal ‘for real’. The first one I think is almost going to be the trickiest as it has the rain drop. There are a lot of colours that make up a rain drop, and such a tiny space! I’m sure each subsequent petal will present it’s own challenges, but I’ll get through the rain drop first!
Hopefully next week I will have some more actual stitching to show you. But, it is all part of the learning experience. And it’s all with the aim of giving me the best possible piece I can achieve, which is the main thing to remember! I have no doubt this will make me a better stitcher. Once I get some confidence again!